Current Trend in English Language Teaching
English language teaching has undergone tremendous changes over the last ten years. Traditional notions of education are giving way to newer, more innovative ways of thinking about how we learn, teach and acquire knowledge. English teacher has to give up traditional methods and has to adopt innovative methods to teach English language.
E-learning offers a wide range of tools to enable teachers and learners to be innovative, creative and resourceful in all learning activities. Teachers and learners can easily customize digital learning resources to suit pace and level, appropriate to any learning style and ability. New technologies like Internet, YouTube, Skype, blogs, mobile phones, interactive boards and many more have been added to the classroom teaching. These are used to make learning more interesting, motivating, stimulating and meaningful to the students. Unlike traditional methodology, modern methodology is much more student-centred; students are the most active element in this process.
E-learning Tools in Teaching English
1. The online method of learning is best suited for everyone. This digital revolution has led to remarkable changes in how the content is accessed, utilised, discussed, and shared. Unlike classroom teaching, with online learning we can access the content an unlimited number of times. Parents and teachers can view their children's and students’ work online any time and anywhere. Learners will not miss their lessons as they can see and listen to the teacher through an online webcam and receive tests, quizzes, and notes from electronic online whiteboards.
2. YouTube videos can be used in an ELT classroom for various aspects of English as to enhance vocabulary, accents, improve pronunciations, voice modulation and many more. The real advantage of using YouTube in teaching English is that it offers authentic examples of everyday English used by everyday people. Teachers can use it as a tool for improving their listening and speaking, reading and writing skills.
3. Using Skype provides unlimited possibilities for teachers and students to collaborate with each other anywhere in the world. It provides immense opportunities for students in a foreign language class to connect with classes in other countries to practice their language skills. Students can read, present, or perform for other students and also collaborate with other students on writing or research projects.
4. The use of mobile phones as a learning tool has a wide variety of applications. A smartphone is capable of doing various tasks like browsing through online web pages or watching videos and audio clips which all can be used in English language learning. Hence it can be used as an ideal portable audio-visual aid for learners.
5. Blogging has become increasingly popular, especially in the realm of education as they are a great way to share information and generate discussion. Instead of text books and traditional methods, many educators prefer using these new techniques to help teach students and gain experience with various forms of social media. Students should be encouraged to post their writing homework on the blog instead of only giving it to the teacher
Learning through technology has become a new age phenomenon and in the coming years, it will form a major part of a learning curve of a person. E-learning could enhance students‟ language proficiency and facilitate the teaching process which could help students to learn happily to enrich their knowledge of English language.